Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC)
United Way of Greater Topeka is proud to faciliate a local YVC program to engage youth to Live United. The Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) is a national, nonprofit network of programs that offer youth, ages 11 to 18, the opportunity to improve their community through volunteering. YVC's mission and work aligns with that of United Way creating opportunities for youth to enrich their lives while addressing the community's need and developing a lifetime of service.
- To engage teams of youth in volunteer service projects that are challenging, rewarding and educational;
- To serve the needs of the community;
- To promote among youth a greater understanding and appreciation for diversity in their community; and
- To inspire youth to a lifetime ethic of service.
- Develop their leadership potential
- Get active in their community.
- Overcome stereotypes and assumptions that can inhibit growth.
- Learn valuable skills, from framing walls to tutoring 6-year-olds.
- Earn service hours, increasing competitiveness for scholarships, college acceptance and jobs.
- Meet youth from various ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Increase self-confidence.
- Learn the value of a good work ethic.