Young Leaders Society (YLS)
Want the latest updates on YLS? Sign up for our newsletter.
YLS Newsletter Sign Up
2011-2012 Junior Leader Readers Corporate Sponsors
What is the Junior Leader Readers program?
Junior Leader Readers is a program launched by the YLS group. Through the program, volunteers secure corporate or individual sponsorship and, through a partnership with the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, purchase books for students in need throughout the community. The program was first launched on October 20, 2010 at Scott Magnet Elementary in Topeka and the first book was sponsored by YLS member Ryan Yamka in memory of his father, Harry. Through this first book give-a-way, nearly 100 Kindergarten students participated in a special book reading and received a copy of the book Edward the Emu written by Sheena Knowles and illustrated by Rod Clement. Four local companies have signed to participate in subsequent book readings allowing YLS to fulfill its goal and continue to get more books into the hands of students with precedence set in schools in low income areas. To get involved as a volunteer or inquire about how to participate as a sponsoring company, email YLS now or call (785) 228.5128.
- View Media Invite for Capitol Federal Sponsor (02.21.2011)
- View Media Release from Program Launch
- View Photo Gallery from Scott Magnet Elementary School
Why should I join?
This dynamic group offers its members multiple avenues to Live United; to be involved with United Way community impact activities, to directly improve the lives of others through giving and volunteering, and to ultimately become leaders in the community.
Exclusive member benefits:
- Invitation to Lunch with Leaders, a networking and career-enrichment series with the opportunity to learn from and get to know influential leaders in our community.
- Making an impact in our community through special events including the Junior Leader Readers program or school supply drives.
- Invitation to the annual Key Club Reception, a special event reserved for top United Way donors.
- Special recognition by name in the annual Leadership Directory as a member of the Young Leaders Society.
- Invitation to all YLS coordinated volunteer events.
YLS Steering Committee
Young Leader community enrichment activities and more are discussed and planned by a group of volunteers serving on the YLS Steering Committee. The group typically meets on the third Monday of each month in the Community Room at the United Way of Greater Topeka offices at 1315 SW Arrowhead Road, Topeka. YLS Members and anyone interested in learning more about YLS is welcome to attend the meetings and other activities.
YLS Steering Committee Meetings for 2012
Location: Community Room of United Way of Greater Topeka (1315 SW Arrowhead Road, Topeka)
Time: Noon - 1 p.m. (You may bring a brown bag lunch if you choose).
- Monday, January 23
- Monday, February 20
- Monday, March 19
- Monday, April 16
- Monday, May 21
- Monday, June 18
- Monday, July 16
- Monday, August 20
- Monday, September 17
- Monday, October 15
- Monday, November 19
- Monday, December 17